Behind the original stone front wall and set between granite gate pillars, stone steps lead up to the front garden and the house (“…of comfortable and respectable appearance” – Jacob, 1830). Past the entrance porch, the ground floor includes hallway, drawing room with steps down to the library, dining room, kitchen, cloakroom and glazed rear entrance area.
Carpeted stairs to first floor split level landing with a principal bedroom off with dressing room and personal bathroom, three further double bedrooms (one en suite) and a family bathroom. Further stairs to second floor with two further bedrooms and a shower room.
Entrance to the basement is from the ground floor hallway, and includes a laundry room, games room, a brick wine cellar, and a boiler/utility room that leads to the garage.
One of Alderney’s most prominent homes, the original part of the vicarage was rebuilt in 1820 by General John Le Mesurier, a former Governor of the island. Benefiting from round-headed windows with Gothic glazing to either side of the central entrance, the four storey home commands an elevated position on the eastern side of the most attractive cobbled Royal Connaught Square – a square that was known as St. Anne’s Square until September 1905 when the Duke of Connaught visited.
In 1990, Princess Alexandra visited Alderney focusing on The Old Vicarage itself after restoration work had been concluded – a plaque commemorating her visit is on the front wall. Due to such historic Importance over the years, the property has a 200 years’ lease with the States of Alderney with a nominal annual ground rent.