The Little Chapel
The Little Chapel is a must visit in Guernsey - originally built in 1914 by Brother Deodat - his plan was to create a miniature version of the grotto and basilica at Lourdes in France. The current version of the chapel measures just 16 feet by 9 feet and when Deodat died in 1939 he never saw the finished version of the chapel.
The Little Chapel is decorated in a mixture seashells, pebbles and broken china as well as mother of pearl that was gifted from Guernsey’s lieutenant governor. It has a capacity of around 8 people and is considered to be the smallest functioning chapel in Europe - if not the world. In 2015 the Chapel closed for vital restoration after cracks appeared in the structure. The Chapel was fully open again to the public in 2017.
The Little Chapel is located in Les Vauxbelets, St. Andrews and is on the 71 Bus Route from St. Peter Port. It is open all day.
There is no charge to enter the Chapel and it relies entirely on public donations. Details of giving donations or fundraising for the Little Chapel can be found on the Little Chapel Foundation website: http://thelittlechapel.gg
For further information on the Little Chapel can also be found on Visit Guernsey: https://www.visitguernsey.com/see-and-do/things-to-do/the-little-chapel/