'Meet the Agent' - John Outerbridge from Bermuda Longtail Real Estate
This month for 'Meet the Agent', we interview John Ryan Outerbridge who works as a Sales and Rentals Representative at Bermuda Longtail Real Estate. John dicusses what he enjoys about his career at Bermuda Longtail Real Estate, favourite and best value listings on the market right now and his thoughts on the local property market as the island feels the impact from Covid-19.
How long have you been in the business? I have been a Sales / Rentals Representative with Bermuda Longtail Real Estate Ltd since 2018 shortly after obtaining my real estate license.
Why do you like working for Bermuda Longtail Real Estate and what’s the favourite part of your job? I enjoy working for Bermuda Longtail Real Estate Ltd because I feel that being relatively new to the real estate industry they have properly and delicately guided me in all aspects of my career thus far. Our real estate broker, Cesa Edwards has a wealth of knowledge (having started real estate almost 30 years ago). I constantly pick her brain as its helped me to be a more well-rounded agent. My favorite part of the job is connecting properties to buyers and another favorite is closing sales deals!!
Where are you seeing activity in the market at the moment? Personally I’m seeing a lot of activity and movement in the range from $450,000 - $700,000. I've also noticed an increase in young qualified buyers purchasing in that range and it has been my pleasure to be able to assist them.
What is your favorite property on the market right now? One of my favorite properties on the market is listed with Bermuda Long Real Estate Ltd. It's a beautiful property situated in St. Davids. The home sits on a third of an acre with wonderful ocean views. The house has various amenities which include a pool, theatre, games room, luxurious master suite and an income apartment.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW
What property on the market right now, in your opinion, do you think is really good value?
There are MANY properties on market for excellent value with some listed at or below appraised value, two of the following that I feel are ‘good value’ for example are:
Devonshire - $325,000 - video tour in link: CLICK HERE TO VIEW
Paget - $390,000 - video tour in link: CLICK HERE TO VIEW
How do you see the Bermuda property market in 2020? 2020 started off well with qualified buyers EXCITED to be looking, making offers and closing on property. Sellers receiving offers (some multiple offers), going under contract and SELLING (for some after being on market for a while). However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, locally it has shown a slowing down of activity compared to January, February and early March of this year. The Bermuda Government took swift action and made it necessary to only allow essential services to operate for everyone’s safety. There are curfews set, mandatory self-quarantine and stay in place measures. All to help ‘flatten the curve’. This was something none of us could predict, expect, nor prepare for. As we continue to navigate and adjust to recent domestic (and worldwide) health developments affecting how transactions are done it will increase the importance of creativity such as video tours, more pictures, transparency, trust, but most importantly safety between agents, their clients and their customers. Bermuda Longtail Real Estate has already made preparation for strict safety measures when Government does say it is ok to commence showing property again. You will notice on our website that we’ve created walk through video tours so prospective buyers could continue the excitement of viewing properties without having to physically be on site. We’ve had several enquiries on properties through these tours which have been great. In spite of Covid-19, properties that we have ‘under contract’ will close and qualified buyers will continue the process of purchasing their dream home or investment property. But in reality, quite possibly with some prospective buyers losing their jobs or job hours being cut we may see this take effect in those who were previously bank approved to shift. Only time will tell. We do however (as always) remain optimistic. We can get through this Bermuda… if all of us work …. together.
What are your top 3 tips for purchasers when looking for a potential new home? Purchasing a home is very personal. I encourage prospective homeowners;
- To seek pre-approval from the bank first. (Shop around various banks if you must). This gives buyers a clear picture of what they can afford and saves time during the purchasing process. Bermuda Longtail Real Estate Ltd can help you with this.
- To form a great relationship with a local real estate agent and property attorney (Bermuda Longtail Real Estate Ltd can help you with this). Ask a lot of questions (no question is off limits).
- When viewing a new home, picture yourself living there. Take your time and walk through the home and/or property, ask about structural, electrical and plumbing histories. (Consider hiring a structural engineer). The more you know about a property, the more confident you will be in making a purchase.
Finally – do you have any good tips for sellers when preparing their home for sale? Selling a property is a huge decision. With lots of inventory out there, I encourage sellers;
1. To declutter their space inside and out, remove personal pictures etc (less is more).
2. Enhance your curb appeal by landscaping and perhaps adding some plants and flowers to beautify the areas. This will help capture some great photos when presenting/advertising your listing online.
3. If you’re considering using a real estate agent find an agent you can trust. Chances are you may be sharing personal and confidential information. Set up an interview (even via Whatsapp Video, FaceTime or Zoom). Find out how their company markets property. It’s important to feel comfortable with your agent. Ask lots of questions (no question is off limits).
Finally on behalf of Bermuda Longtail Real Estate Ltd, we wish to say a heartfelt ‘THANK YOU’ to all those risking your lives to keep Bermuda healthy & safe and we extend our sincere prayers and condolences to the families who have lost love ones due to Covid-19.
To contact John Ryan Outerbridge: