'Meet the Agent' - Mark Barany from Joy Lusher Real EstateThis month for 'Meet the Agent', we interview Mark Barany, a sales and rental associate at Joy Lusher Real Estate. Mark recently joined the Joy Lusher team having previously worked at SailGP and America's Cup and discusses how that experience is beneficial to a career in real estate. Mark also where is he seeing activity in the market right now, some top tips for buyers and sellers in the current market and why he enjoys working for Joy Lusher Real Estate.
How long have you been in the business? This is my first year, been great so far, it feels more like two or three years the way the market has been! Before joining Joy Lusher Real Estate I spent five years managing commercial partnerships & projects at SailGP and America’s Cup. My experiences there, reviewing sponsorship contracts, marketing luxury brands and building relationships with VIP clients, have all proven 100% transferable in the business so far.
Why do you like working for Joy Lusher Real Estate and what’s the favorite part of your job? We have a great team! With over 60 years in the business Joy Lusher Real Estate has a sterling reputation and some of the most experienced agents in Bermuda. I’ve had everyone’s full support since day one. My favorite part of this job is seeing the potential in every property. I’m a bit interiors obsessed so I’ve really enjoyed bouncing ideas off of clients looking to elevate their space for showings or new buyers looking for a project.
Where are you seeing activity in the market at the moment? There’s an ongoing demand for luxury/executive homes. Sellers are being tempted to take advantage of the market and there have been some really special properties listed over the past year. Some owners are choosing to downsize temporarily and rent their primary residence. It may be a sellers market but buyers are still benefiting the opportunity to purchase some super premium properties that have not been in the market for a long time/ever.
What is your favorite property on the market right now? I like Christie Lusher Carter’s listing “Garden View and The Lodge” on Scarrington Hill in Paget. You’ve got a turnkey investment located in a great neighborhood and a sizeable garden with lots of potential. The two bedroom unit is bright and airy with a cottage vibe, and then the one bedroom is a huge loft space which I think is pretty rare to find. Both have happy tenants in place and are fully furnished. CLICK HERE TO VIEW
What property on the market right now, in your opinion, do you think is really good value? Again I would have to say “Garden View and The Lodge”. Based on the current net profit the ROI is very favorable and both rental units are occupied with happy tenants.
How do you see the Bermuda property market in 2021? I‘m hesitant to make any kind of prediction the way things have going since 2020! Since we’re nearly at the end of the year I will venture a guess that things will not be cooling down anytime before end of year.
What are your top 3 tips for purchasers when looking for a potential new home?
1) Make sure you’re working with a great agent. Buying a home can be an overwhelming process and we’re here to help you every step of the way.
2) If you’re taking the financing route, make an appointment with the bank to get pre-approved before you start viewing.
3) Be open-minded and explore your options. Try and view a variety of properties within your budget. It’s not always love at first sight and sometimes you need to find out what you don’t want before you know what you do want.
Finally – do you have any good tips for sellers when preparing their home for sale?
1) Again, make sure you’re working with a great agent. You want to have an agent who’s comfortable having the tough conversations, so be open to their feedback and advice.
2) Take the time to fix the small things, put on a fresh coat of paint, take care of any clutter (inside and out) and imagine yourself as the buyer, what would you want to see when you arrived at a property?
3) Make sure you have all of your legal documentation ready; deeds, site plan, legal description. If there are any potential issues you want to have a head start on addressing them. Site plans are helpful for showings as well.
To contact Mark you can e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org